Pay for your holiday

Find your Holiday Cottage

Arrival date (clear) Calendar
Accommodation type
Party size
Bringing dogs?

Holiday Cottage Search

Good Housekeeping Bond

Q. What is a Good Housekeeping Bond , do I have to pay it and why is it required?
A - some properties require a good housekeeping bond (sometimes known as a security deposit) to be lodged during your stay. 
Where it is required provision for the bond must be in place before your arrival. The bond is required to cover against breakages, damages, extra cleaning costs which are attributed to your specific stay. The amount usually reflects the insurance excess which would apply should the owner have to make an insurance claim. It has to be said that we don't often have need to charge against a bond as most guests leave properties in good condition. So what would be charged to a bond? As an example and not limited to - a wine spillage on a carpet needing a carpet clean, dropping a full set of crockery, replacing a broken window, door or light fitting, repairing damage to furniture by human or canine, replacement of locks due to lost keys. Other items which one would identify as "fair wear and tear", such as equipment failure, the odd wine glass breakage would not normally be charged to a bond, but larger items of accidental or malicious damage, requiring insurance claim will be charged, you are of course welcome to settle such costs in full subject to agreement by the owner.
The bond normally takes the form of a pre-authorisation of a card for the duration of your stay. Whilst no money actually leaves your card, the amount is "ring-fenced" and is not available to you for the duration of the pre-authorisation ie. the length of your stay.